Saturday, October 29, 2011

Beds and Binkies, Binkies and Beds

Talmage is turning two in about a month and he is still very attached to his" beentea" (binky).   If he doesn't have at least one in his mouth at all times, he will cry to me over and over again, "beantea beantea, beantea."  I was so sick of his constant whining and nagging one afternoon, that I just plugged him up real good.  He was happy about that, but the truth is, he needs to be weened, and SOON.  Anyone have any good ideas?  I have a few in mind.  Letting Talmage throw it away in the "big garbage truck" on garbage day, tie it to a balloon and send it flying, mail it to Diego, or letting it float away down the river on a homemade raft.  I understand that some of those options are considered littering, so I probably won't do those ones, but, he has 4 binkies left that I must get rid of.

My mom told me that when I was a little girl I was very attached to mine as well (until about age 3 or 4? Crazy!). And what did it finally take to get me to stop?  Miraculously (for my mother) one day, we watched this big crow swoop down and snatch my binky from the sandbox ledge it was sitting on.  My mom turned to me and said, "Well Jocey, there goes your binky, all gone."  Apparently, I was okay with the idea of a bird taking it away and I never asked for it again after that.

I know it is very unlikely a bird will come take Talmages binkies away from him for me, but I want to come up with a way to get rid of them, where he is okay with it and can finally say good bye.



Also, I forgot to mention while on our trip in Phoenix, Talmage learned how to climb out of his pack 'n play crib he was using.  Upon returning to Milwaukee, Talmage also learned how to climb out of his crib.  SO, I lowered the mattress, raised the ledge, and reinforced the sides, hoping to keep him in.  He was screaming when I plopped him in his crib one afternoon for nap time. I shut the door and hoped he would cry for his usual 5 minutes, (not climb out) and fall asleep.  He kept crying so I went to check on him and walked in right as he was.....LITERALLY.... pulling the side of the crib off his bed.  We decided he was ready for his homemade big boy bed, especially if he was strong enough to pull it apart, so we kept the side off.  When we move, we will buy a twin bed for him, but this will work for now.



Lastly, and most importantly, Cody took Step 2 Boards on Monday, October 24th.  He came home 8 hours later and sat down and started crying, so relieved that that part if his life was over.  Ha! If you know him at all, you know he has never cried, and I was just kidding, he didn't cry.  I wanted to cry though, from happiness.  He has been VERY tired, busy, and loaded with unimaginable amounts of stress.  Taking Step 2 was a big part of all that stress, as well as applications, and his away rotation.  Now that all that stuff is over, we can just focus (pray a lot) on getting interviews.  He is home a lot more often now, because his rotations are lighter and require less hours.  Needless to say, we have one extremely happy wife at home, one drooling-with-glee little boy, and a much more rested Cody.

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy, let me know how it goes! We are about to wean Cole off the pacifier too, poor guy. It's sad to help them lose their first addiction!

    We went cold turkey no-pacifier for Benson when he turned 18 months old (that's Cole's exact age today), and it was a hard 3 days. We just snipped the tip off and said, "uh oh, it broke! No more paci!" The main times it was tough was naps. The first day, he screamed and cried for 1-1/4 hours before falling asleep. That night, he was so exhausted that he fell asleep after just 2 or 3 minutes of crying. The second day during nap time, he sobbed for 45 minutes. And then almost no crying at bedtime, since he was still so worn out. And the third day, he cried for about 20 minutes before falling asleep, and after that it was smooth sailing. I was glad to get his crying out during the day instead of at night time, since we shared a house and they were at work during the day, so they didn't have to hear this.

    Good luck! I'm interested to hear your approach (they all sound very creative!) and I hope it goes well.

    ReplyDelete