Sunday, July 15, 2012

Birfday, Baby Bump, and Other Businez

It has been barely over a week since my last post, but it has felt more like a month.  With the amount of things going on around here I can't even keep my head on straight.  To list just a few things that have happened (good and bad); had my 29th birthday, Cody's first call shift (horrid), moved into our home officially, cleaned like no ones business, bought a few appliances, saw a few black widows, called pest control, couple DMV trips, throbbing toothache, saw 2 dentists and 1 endodontist, scheduled a root canal, AC not working, trying to sleep in 95 degree house, putting all our boxes away (barely scratched the surface), meeting neighbors, Ta's new 'girl'friend, changed my hair color, got a bad massage, and attempting to not go insane.

I'll attempt to be positive. 

 Despite a certain tooth, and having to go back to the DMV for the second time on my actual day of birth, it was a pretty good day.  The best part was going to Red Robin for dinner with my boys.  I cannot get enough of their whiskey river burger, endless potato fries and their campfire sauce.  I also tried their spreckled lemonade (which Tal drank most of, I only got a few sips in).


Inventing new ways to sword fight.  

Cody felt bad for being so tired on my birthday (I gave him a break, he had been working 14 hours that day).  I expect him to always be tired now.  

Trying to share with mom.

What did Talmage eat for dinner that night? Besides downing 2 of my lemonades, all he did was suck ranch off his fries. Cody and I were both too exhausted to care.


Just posing, I was too stuffed to even eat my birthday ice cream (I didn't ask for), but Tal loved it.


A little baby bump update.  
Here I am at 33 weeks and 3 days.  If my belly looks small too you, it's because it is.  Not to my liking though.  At my OB appointment I was measuring to barely 29 centimeters.  That's around 4 1/2 centimeters smaller than where I should be measuring.  At this stage in the pregnancy it's not good to be that far behind in growth.  I mean, everything could be fine and I could just carry small, the baby is just really small OR it could mean I am low on amniotic fluid.  Low on fluid is very bad for baby and could force him to come early.  I was told to not stress too much, rest when possible, drink plenty of water, make sure he is moving around often and to come back for an ultra sound asap.  


I've really tried to not stress out too much and rest when possible, but COME ON!! REALLY!!!  Right after I got that news (which made me start crying right there at the doctors office) It all started going downhill.  Where to begin....I had to go to the DMV to get both our cars registered before they expired, and new California plates and titles, as well as my drivers license renewed before it expired the next day (on my birthday).  I'll try and make a long story as short as possible......I had to bring Tal to the DMV because I didn't have anyone to babysit for me yet.  We waited in long lines (even with an appointment).  After 2 hours of being there already, I wasn't aware that I needed to or prepared to take a written test, in order to receive my new California license (all at the same time as trying to entertain an ADHD toddler).  Failed test by 2 questions, was told I had to come back the next day to retest.  At that point Tal was DONE!  He wouldn't walk to the car, throwing major tantrums, he was crying, I was crying, exhausted, couldn't pick him up, if I did he would kick his legs and hit my stomach. I finally had to heft him over my shoulder and lug him to the car.  Not a SINGLE PERSON watching all this offered me any help.  Finally got home, cried for awhile, fell asleep, woke up, had dinner, studied for test.  

Next day I went back and passed with flying colors and got my new license, but I also gained a horrible toothache in the process.  Went to dinner that night for my birthday and realized the pain wasn't going away.  It was a constant throbbing.  I couldn't chew, therefore could barely eat, couldn't sleep, or barely swallow.  The next day Cody would be working the worst shift of his life.  I really could not even begin to explain the amount of stress they put on these residents during a call shift.  He honestly wanted to die.  The next day I thought I could deal with the pain from the tooth and a toddler while husband free and pregnant.  I was very wrong. The pain was giving me migraines and being pregnant, the only safe medicine I could take was Tylenol (which was not doing it's job, at all).  I called my brilliant sister in law, Jen, who happens to be a dental hygienist.  I explained my issues and she told me it sounded like it could be a root canal and that I should call a dentist.  I needed relief, so I found a 24 hr dentist, they robbed me just to get an x-ray, but they prescribed some antibiotics, which I went and got pronto.  The antibiotics didn't take effect until Sunday night, but has helped tremendously this past week.  Cody got home later that night and was able to log on to his work site and figure out our dental insurance.  I found a new dentist who took our insurance, she was awesome and smart and skilled.  She shaved part of my tooth (crown) down, which really helped, because every time it got bumped by the other tooth it would send a searing pain through my whole face.  She referred me to an endodontist, he consulted with me and decided I definitely needed a root canal.  I got permission and a go ahead from my OB to get it done.  It is actually safer for the baby overall, for me to go through the 2 hour procedure, then live with the pain and risk getting an infection.
It does not end there!

We had to be out of our apartment and so we also had to move all our stuff into the house. Cody's hours only made him available to move in the evenings.  Not knowing EXACTLY when he would get off, we booked a rental truck for Monday night, hoping he got off early enough to move our furniture before midnight.  Of course he got home at 8 p.m. and his "help" didn't get there until around 9 p.m.  Lets just say we didn't get done until around 1 in the morning.  Tal was wired and stayed up until 3 a.m.  Cody had to work the next day at 5 a.m.  Oh! And the previous owners of our house didn't like to change their AC filters... EVER! Therefore our AC was all backed up and not working at all (it is also located on the roof and we have no ladder yet).  It also happened to be the hottest week of the year so far.  It was 95 degrees in our house that night and the next 3 nights after that, until I finally got an AC guy to come fix it.  None of us slept those 4 nights, we tossed and turned, me especially, getting up every hour to pee, just regular uncomfortable pregnancy positions, dealing with the dang sore tooth and extra hot and sweaty.  I don't even want to imagine how tired Cody was at work, being drilled and pimped all day long, holding peoples lives in his hands.  We drank our weight in water and took tons of cold showers for some relief.  
I also saw some black widows in our garage so I had to call pest control.  I HATE SPIDERS!  Especially ones that could potentially kill your babies.

OKAY!!  We are still alive.  We survived!!  I just have to say that I learned absolutely nothing from all those experiences.  I just hated it all and am glad they are coming to a close.  :) 

The A/C is fixed, my tooth will be worked on next week, the spiders are dead, we are sleeping, baby seems fine and kicking often, we have a brand new fridge that has filtered water and makes ice.  We have a new washer and dryer that actually clean and dry our clothes.  We have a lawn mower that Cody is so proud of (his very first REAL man tool of sorts) and was able to use it for the first time on his one day off.  Talmage is back to a regular sleep schedule, and a lot less ornery.  Talmage and I both found new friends who live directly across the street.  A 3 year old girl, Harlow, and her mother Keisha, who is 15 years my senior, but a super sweet lady.  I have officially finished putting away all our kitchen stuff and plan on working on our closets and bathrooms next. Woosh! One box at a time I tell ya.

I was able to get the nicest lady from our ward, Mindy, to babysit Tal for 4 hours (he had a blast with her 3 cute boys, swimming, jumping on their tramp, playing with cars, trains and guns) while I went and got a pregnancy massage, a haircut and color.  The massage was poor, but relaxing none the less.  The haircut and color, fine I suppose.  I wanted to go dark permanently this time, the last color didn't stick.  She went a little darker than I was expecting, my hair is a walnut, REALLY dark brown almost black.  Getting used to it still.

Cody and I were able to also check off our list, cleaning the apartment and turning in the keys... FINALLY!  Talmage has been quite the trooper through this whole transition.  Poor kid fell asleep while waiting for his dinner plate last night.  

So there you have it, our life in a week.  Hopefully we can be a little more put together before baby brother arrives in 5 weeks from now. 

4 comments:

  1. I carried Isabel small when I was prego with her and had to get an ultrasound to check fluid levels at 30 weeks. Fortunately, all was fine, just carrying small. Sme thing happened with Elliot. Hopefully you'll get the same results!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jocelyn! This week sounds absolutely HORRIBLE. I really wish we still lived close by so I could help. I'm so sorry for all you're going through. I'm glad most of the things have resolved though. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whiskey river burger + fries + straw lemonade is totally my fave at red robin! :) sorry about all the other craziness... This on call stff IS crazy! Ian had his first day OFF yesterday after like 15 days straight. You are amazing, and so is Cody, so the good news is I know you will keep being amazing! You can do it, and we will keep you and that sweet baby in our prayers. Call me if ever you need. Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOLLY MOLLY! Seriously that was a lot going on. I got exhausted just reading it! Wish I lived closer to help out!

    ReplyDelete