Thursday, July 19, 2012

Ahhh.. Wuz up Doc?

A quick update, mostly because I really don't feel like calling and explaining the story to every member in my family who is wondering.  I don't feel like talking period, because my head and mouth hurt and I am numb on half my face.

I had my root canal this afternoon.  Started at 12 and got done close to 3 p.m.  A typical root canal should only take 1 hour to 1 and a half hours.  Here's the problem.  Some time ago when I was in my mid-teens I tried opening some finger nail polish, that had been glued shut, with one of my back molar teeth.  There was apparently too much pressure put on a certain part of the tooth and caused a big chunk of the tooth to literally crumble out of my mouth.  Of course I went to the dentist, trusted they knew what they were doing and let them fix me up.  They filled it with some "gunk" and put a crown on it.  I was a teen after all, I didn't pay attention to all the details.  Fast forward 14 years or so and suddenly I have excruciating pain in that same tooth (I have had pain in the tooth before but it always eventually went away with a little orajel, not this time around).  The timing could not be more perfect either.  My body apparently couldn't handle much more and decided to give in at 8 months pregnant.  When they got the x-rays, not only did they determine I would need a root canal and referred me to an Endodontist, but told me they were shocked my body put up with this tooth for so many years.  My body some how always compensated.  I guess the procedure done on me when I was a teen was a very shotty one.  The "gunk" they filled the tooth with was never meant to be a permanent fix. It ended up calcifying really thickly over the canals (which caused the 3 hour procedure today because he had an extremely hard time finding the canals....it was drill, pick, rinse, dry, search, drill, pick, rinse, dry, search..... for about 2 hours.  He was one more try away from possibly extracting the tooth because he couldn't find 2 of the 4 canals). The "gunk" was also way too deep, it was within less than 3 mm of my actual nerves or something.  According to the Endodontist, that was way to close for comfort, and he had never seen anything like this before.  He actually couldn't quite figure out what the "gunk" was, but he called it old school work.  He didn't want me to loose my tooth just yet, so he tried again (I said a silent prayer at that point that he would find the canal) and Voila!  Found the hidden and VERY small canal, and the 4th one shortly after.  He went ahead, 2 hours behind schedule, stripped the nerves or whatever they do...take them out?  Then filled it with a sort of medicine type antibiotic.  He covered it with a temporary filling.  I have to go back in 2 weeks, and in the meantime, I SHOULD NOT feel any pain.  If I do feel pain they will know that the nerves were not completely stripped. I also need to stay away from really hard, crunchy and sticky foods until they finish the procedure.  WHAT!?!??  So much for my peach gummies and chocolate covered almond fixes I've been having.  This next part may be a little too personal, but I am feeling bumbed about not being able to have candy, and therefore will complain a bit more.  I  have been on antibiotics for the last two weeks, to help with the pain and keep me from getting infected.  The first dentist (the one who ripped me off) who prescribed the antibiotics, never warned me about some of the possible side effects of them while pregnant.  So for the last few days I've also been dealing with a certain feminine issue called a yeast infection.  YAY!!!  Luckily I had my OB appointment and she immediately issued some medicine.  Feel bad for me yet?  :)

As for the news about the baby....thumbs up all around in that category.  I measure 2 cm bigger than last time, so the baby is on an uphill slope and growing.  Amniotic fluid levels were sufficient and everything looked good.  More than likely he will be a small little runt.  I am now to the weekly appointments.  CRAZY!  This is happening all very quickly.  I am so excited and can't wait for him to come!  Well wait! Yes I can.  He NEEDS to wait, because I need to finish with this stupid root canal first.  I still need to buy him a crib, fix up his nursery, make sure I got everything I need, clean up the house a bit more etc etc etc. EVERYTHING!  I have been trying more to relax, at the expense of my house looking like a disaster more often than not, and not having many cooked meals for Cody when he gets home.  Don't get me started on Talmage!!!!  He is so dirty all the time!  I cannot bathe him easily anymore. You know, the belly and really deep tubs, make chores like that, much more difficult.  If I am lucky, I can plop him in with Cody (sorry babe).

So here he is, my greasy monster.
My saving graces the last few days have been; having a backyard, the park, the weather being cooler and the Winnie the Pooh movie he got from a care package from Nali (THANKYOU!!)  He has watched it 7 times already, and it has only been 2 days.
Clearly, I need MY mommy.  I really am laughing at myself at this point.  I also learned some valuable lessons in all this (I know in my last post I said I learned absolutely nothing..well I was joking..because I did). I feel that my knowledge of the "real" world has grown considerably.  I've learned a lot about what I always considered "grown up" stuff, i.e; health, car, life house insurance crap,  government regulations and crap, owning and fixing house problems and crap, financial crap, trying to be a good, calm parent in tough situations and crap, figuring things out on my own without a brilliant husband around and crap (to name a few).  I also needed to learn some spiritual lessons all over again.  I obviously needed some reminders from Heavenly Father that he is still there, loves me, and is waiting for me to call on him for help.  My testimony of prayer has been strengthened once again.  I mean, the instant I finished my prayer the Endodontist found the other canals.  Coincidence?  I think not!

My point of telling you all this is that if you want to feel bad for me go ahead, but really I needed to go through all this so I could grow and progress.  So you can be happy for me that I've learn-ed and grown-ed.

Okay I have to go now, Talmage just threw up...

Mom, can you just hurry up and come out here already?

1 comment:

  1. Joce, I am so sorry! It seems that difficult situations come up during difficult times more often that we would like (if that makes sense).
    Hang in there! Your a wonderful person and all will be well!

    ReplyDelete