Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Golden Ticket

On March 16th, all 201 Medical College of Wisconsin 4th year students, and significant others, came together in a very crowded room to receive their all important "golden ticket." This "ticket" or envelope would tell them each where they would be living and working as residents. As each students name was drawn at random, they would go up and receive their "golden ticket." I call it the golden ticket because with it comes a job, and with a job comes money. Although, Cody claims that his "golden ticket" was the email he received on Monday morning saying he matched.  I agree, that was the more important day, but this day and this "golden ticket" would tell me WHERE we were going to be living for the next 5 years!  We got there early to sit at the same table with our good friends, Tim and Lynn Chang and Chuck and Shay Burtis, who were also waiting for their news.  Here are some before photos.  I love how Talmage looks so bored. 
The friends.  All of us anxiously waiting.
Each student has to give a dollar in order to receive their envelope.  That way person #201, who had to wait so patiently to go last, gets all 201 dollars (would suck to be second to last knowing you were that close).  Here is Cody's dollar he contributed.  He knew he wouldn't be last.
Waiting and waiting and waiting to hear his name.
Here is a sneak peek of what the room looked like.  Very crowded, stuffy and loud.
People even on the second floor.
Finally he heard, "Cody Pehrson."  And he begins the walk up.
The walk back.  I love his face in this picture. He looks so deep in thought.
He brought it back to the table to open it up with us (which is what everyone did to save time).
Where are we going to be living for the next 5 years?

Fresno California!  

We are very happy with this match.  It was pretty much at the top of our list.  
Our friends also matched in their top choices as well going to Ohio and Minnesota.  Later that night we met up at P.F. Chang's for a celebratory dinner (kid free). We laughed and chatted about how relieved and happy we all were.  Our guys finally had jobs after all that schooling.

2 comments:

  1. I read this entire post with a big ol' goofy smile on my face. I am so happy and so excited for you guys. It's nice to see all this schooling coming to an end and getting ready to officially "start life" post graduation. Plus, it has been awhile since I've been to California and could use a vacation ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap! That's how they do it?! I would die from the anticipation!!

    ReplyDelete