Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Someday

I don't know what got into me, but I woke up this morning with a really great idea. What brought on this great idea was the realization that I was feeling a little down on myself. I was feeling down on myself because I was thinking back on all the different goals I ever made and realized whenever I started something, I would always quit or never even start in the first place. I started college with all intentions of finishing, but haven't. I bought a guitar and took a class with the idea I would be able to play, but still can't. I tried piano when I was little and quit because I hated practicing. I organized all my photos from my life, with the idea I would put together my scrapbook (let's just say it is still sitting downstairs waiting). I always thought it would be neat to learn spanish or any other language for that matter, but I can only speak a few words to the cooks at work. Anyways, the list goes on....I'm not saying my life is full of incompletes. I am married to a wonderful man who treats me like a queen. I have a beautiful baby boy who brings so much joy and happiness to my life that I never could've imagined. I have the gospel. I have family and friends who love me, etc. (That list goes on as well).
BUT......
It seems most of the time I catch myself saying the word, "Someday," way too often. For instance I might say these phrases, "Someday I will learn to play the guitar," or "Someday I will run a half marathon," or "Someday I will work on my scrapbooks." I am sick and tired of being the person who keeps saying, "Someday." I know a lot of these things take time (and trust me I have a buttload of a list of things). I thought if I posted a blog about it, it will get me more determined to work on these things, quit making excuses and help me keep my goals. I don't know if any one has watched the movie, Julie and Julia, but that inspired me. If she can cook every recipe in a huge cookbook, everyday for an entire year, then surely I can find some time in my life to work on my goals. I do have a baby to take care of and a husband who needs my attention, but I need to be a little selfish and FINALLY, for once on my life, accomplish something I want to! I may not post every day, but I will keep updating so people know that I am keeping my word. I don't know why but I just got excited and scared. Excited because I think this might work for me and scared because I know I have to do it or I will be upset at myself if I don't and be embarrassed in front of all those who are watching. Since I know people are aware now, any body is welcome to remind me by saying, "Jocelyn...you said you were going to do that, don't quit now." Especially if I am not meeting my goals.

Okay lets start this thing! What should I call it? The 'Someday' Project, The Great Undertaking of Long Lost Goals and New Ones. The Endeavors of Jocelyn Accomplishing What She Starts. From Start to Finish (A Comedy). Any ideas anyone?

Rules:
#1. Must make reasonable goals.
#2. Must accomplish each goal by the timeline set.
#3. Must make reasonable timelines.
#4. Can work on more than one goal at a time as long as one goal doesn't interfere with the other.
#5. Must keep readers updated on progress no matter how bad or good I am doing.
#6. Anyone reading is allowed to laugh or make fun of me on this crazy adventure, but no encouraging me to quit.
#7. Since I am the author I can change my goals at any time if I feel my sanity is in jeopardy.

GOAL#1:
Run a half marathon.
Inspiration: Ladies in my City Branch had the idea, and I always wanted to prove to myself I could, because I'm not the best runner it would be a fun challenge.
Date:May 8th ( in 11.5 weeks)
Where:"The city of Lake Geneva has been a Mecca for tourists since the late 1800's and Geneva Lake is "one of the great blue lakes of the world." Together they provide the ideal setting for unique running experience.

The Lake Geneva Marathon and associated races is in its 25th year. The Series consists of a USAT&F certified marathon, a 22-mile Euro Cross-Country marathon on the famous Lake Geneva path, Half Marathon, 10K, and 5K road races, and a marathon walk. In 1993, the Lake Geneva Marathon was chosen by Runner's World magazine as the best small race in the country.

The course is a challenging and picturesque route around the perimeter of Geneva Lake. The scenic views and unbelievable hills combined with a final run on an ancient Indian trail set the stage for a very memorable marathon. The marathon will be both demanding for the best runners and an opportunity not to be missed for those runners looking for the ultimate marathon challenge."

How: Run 3 times a week on my own and once a week with the group. The once a week with the group will be the longer runs and the three times a week will be to keep me up on my cardio strength.

I am going to get on the treadmill for the first time in 10 months tonight! I will try for 1 mile fast pace walk and a 1/2 mile jog with a 1/2 mile cool down. Total 2 miles tonight.
WISH ME LUCK!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck, girlfriend! I don't know if I could ever do what you're doing. And man, right now, even THINKING of having enough time to go running blows my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahoo! Lake Geneva here you come! You can definitely do this Jocelyn! Just remember, you don't have to run the whole thing-that was Katie's saving grace for our run in September! Our run on Friday is going to be great and before you know it you will be running ten miles like a pro! See you Friday and by the way, I love the little mailboxes you and Cody have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I've been pondering a half marathon, but haven't decided if that's what I want to do. I know what you mean with everything else, though! I'm a total "someday" girl, but haven't decided this is my year. For something. :) Love it!

    Also, how cute is your boy?! Seriously, Joce. And how pretty are you? Ridiculously pretty, that's what.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be something about being a new mom, because I have been feeling the same way lately. There are days when I think I am 27
    years old, and what have I done with my life? I know it is silly, but I do feel that way sometimes. Great job setting goals, I am excited to hear about your half marathon! I wish I had the motivation in me to do one...maybe someday!

    ReplyDelete