I must say that I had a fairly easy pregnancy. No major morning sickness problems, no out-of-control cravings. No weird smells that made me want to vomit. I was able to work almost all 9 months ( I only fell once). And then towards the end of the pregnancy, just a little swelling and back pain. After having Talmage though, my story changes. It has been one thing after another concerning my health. I knew that it would take a good month to recover and then I would start feeling better and then I could get back to my normal self, start working out etc. But oh no! It seemed like never ending bleeding, the tiredness and fatigue made me feel dazed all the time, I was getting dizzy spells (and still do on occasion) all the time, headaches, back pain, pulling and straining muscles I shouldn't, whiplash injury, hair falling out, bruising ...the list goes on. SO I mentioned in my last post I have been in and out of the docs office. I was sick and tired of being dizzy and fatigued all the time, so I made an appointment. I got my thyroid checked. It's high! Problem! Not to mention people, they found that I have a little heart murmur. Another Problem! I also went and got x-rayed at the chiropractors office. I have a whiplash injury (Yeah! Crazy Wisconsin drivers rammed right into the back of me and Tal one day when he was around 6 weeks old, No damage to the car and I thought I felt fine...wrong) I ended up feeling really sore the next day but just thought nothing of it until I saw those x-rays (no wonders my neck is always stiff and I get headaches a lot). I also discovered that I have a bit of scoliosis in my lower spine as well as a really worn down disc at the base of my spine (hence the back pain). Oh! To top everything off... I am a clutz! I tripped over a footstool and fell, whilst holding Talmage in my arms. Tal being my number one priority, I did everything I could so he didn't get hurt, but to the exception of damaging my own wrist. I landed on my wrist and strained it. I have a problem supinating? (Cody taught me that word) like the holding a bowl motion with my wrist (NOT good.. considering I have to hold trays at work). Oh! and all the bruises are coming from my job (lot's of sharp corners and such). Let's just say I am a wreck! I have been trying to play all of it off and keep my life going as normal as possible, some days are better then others. I started training to run a half marathon about a month ago, injured my back so I stopped training for a few weeks. I got lazy and scared to start running again, afraid I may hurt myself and now have seriously been considering giving up on the marathon goal. This is so sad to me because I made a goal!!!! On my post labeled "Someday" I mention how I always make excuses to not accomplish my goals. I made a goal to run this half marathon. I am down to one month before the race. The question is; Am I using all these injuries and sickness as an excuse to quit? Or should I push through them and do it? I feel bad quitting. BUT I have been told by many people that I should take care of and not be so hard on myself. I will still do a half marathon .. just not the one coming this May. But before this year is over I have to. I feel that I owe an apology to ...i donno...myself, for not following through. Making the decision to not run the half marathon feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. But am I doing the right thing? I hate saying I am going to do something and then NOT doing it! Anyways, this post is not for anyone to feel bad for me...I am fine I promise! Just a lot tired, somewhat sore, kinda dazed, and losing all my hair...but I will be fine. Sorry to any one who is disappointed in me.. trust me I am disappointed enough for the both of us.
My next post will be more uplifting, with some cute pics of Talmage!
Jocelyn! No worries my friend, you are doing the right thing by not running in May! Half-marathons are HARD and with all that you have going on right now, best to take care of your body so that you can do these things in the future. So, take care my dear, hope you get all the answers you need soon and you can get back to feeling like yourself!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry! For heavens sake, post-pregnancy is hard enough without everything else you've got! Not to rain on your parade, but my body still isn't fully recovered, and it's been 5 1/2 months. And the pathetic thing is that I am more upset by going bald than the rest of it... Hope things get better soon.
ReplyDeletehey yo. Let me say it - don't do the half marathon! You are making a very good decision to not do it and let me tell you why. You don't want to just do a half marathon just to finish one. ALMOST ANYONE CAN DO A HALF MARATHON. It make take some people a heck of a lot longer than others, but I pretty much believe anyone could do it. But, that doesn't mean it will be fun or enjoyable.
ReplyDeleteIf you have a goal to do one, do it right. Give yourself adequate time to prepare. Make sure your body is ready to handle it. Likely your first one wont we crazy fast, but it should still be an enjoyable experience. I am sure you could survive through one right now if you needed to, but your body would HATE you afterwards. My very first one was 5 years ago, and I had just not prepared like I should of. I actually did pretty well time-wise and didnt even mind the run that much, but my right IT band killed me for a week afterwards. I felt so terrible afterwards I got more into triathlons and never wanted to run long distance again. Since then, I have done many halfs where I did a real job of preparing my body, and enjoyed them SO much more.
I am sure this sounds kinda weird, but to me, the point of doing half marathons should not be to check off a box on a list of things to do - it should be about improving your body and kinda celebrating the ability to be able to run some 13 miles. Wait til you are better. Do it right. You will love it so, so, so much better. And then, you can come to Utah and we can run one together!
Your comments make me feel sooooo much better. Thank you for the great advice too! I am going to take my time when i do decide to start up again. Enjoy the experience more.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry Joce. I know you well enough to know that you will accomplish anything you set your mind to...like running a marathon sometime this year! Take it easy. Your awesome!
ReplyDelete