Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Home Stretch

It's to that point now where I completely do not care... do not care what I am wearing, do not care what my hair or face look like and do not care what might be hanging out.  All I really care about is being comfortable and keeping myself from overheating.  BUT, the best news of all, is that I know EXACTLY how much longer this has to go on.  That is right!  We got a date set for me to be induced.  We are going to head to the Hospital at 7:30 a.m., on Thursday, August 16th, to get my labor started (6 days people!).  It will be my 39 weeks and 2 days mark.  Even though I am not dilated yet, we feel okay with having this baby boy 6 days early (for several reasons).  First and foremost, we are very excited to meet him and see him and cuddle him.  We are glad that Cody is in a rotation (Vascular Surgery) that isn't as demanding on his time as his next one (Trauma), which starts on the 20th (bad timing for my original due date, the 22nd).  Being induced early is basically the only way to guarantee Cody is there for the birth AND allow him a few days to enjoy his new son before the madness starts.  Cody will get Thursday (Birth-Day) off, then has to go in to work Friday (12-16 hr shift) then is allowed Saturday and Sunday off.  Then comes the dreaded Monday (3 days after baby boy is born) he starts his Trauma rotation, where he will work 14 straight days, being on call every night, for at least 16 hours per shift. (6 p.m. - 10 a.m.- ish)  Even though we will see him during the day, he needs to sleep at some point and keep studying, so really we will probably only see him for a few hours in the late afternoon before he goes back to work again each night. YAY!!!!!

Some other good news is my mom and sister Mckenzie will be here to help us during those couple weeks.  Thank heavens for family and their willingness to take time out of their busy lives to come help us crazy kids out.  They are showing up on Monday evening (as in 3 days from now) and I can't be more excited (for several reasons again).  They are bringing Talmage a twin size bed and a desk that will be used as a changing table.  They will be able to help me FINALLY put the nursery/Tal's room together (yes, I am making the boys share a room).  I have been very nesty lately, but unable to accomplish much without furniture to put anything in and no way to do it myself, due to some major back pain issues (did I mention I feel horrible asking Cody to do anything around the house, because, by the time he gets home he pretty much falls asleep eating dinner?  Poor guy, if you feel like it, throw him in your prayers :).

Yeah, so I have been having some weird, annoying, horrible, back pain for the last few weeks.  Very frustrating to me, especially since doing small and meaningless tasks, such as dishes or vacuuming, becomes difficult and painful.  I think it might be sciatica, but I donna, I can't walk, stand or sit without feeling sharp shooting pains all down my back and right side.  The pain doesn't come and go either, it is constantly there.  I must say, pregnancy with Talmage was a breeze, I remember cleaning the house top to bottom the day before I delivered, I felt great.  This go around I feel helpless, so tired, winded and sore all the time.  I can't wait to get my body I am used to, back!  I also have learned to feel empathy for people who have chronic back pain issues...frickin sucks! My heart goes out to you.

On a lighter note, (I sound bipolar right? I guess I have been a wee bit emotional/hormonal....whatever you want to call it).  I found a set of 'Cars' twin sheets for Talmage's new bed, for a great deal at Ross, he is so excited about it.  With great hopes that this new baby will have a better sleep habit/pattern early on, I also bought a white noise/projector machine for the boys room (tried it on Tal tonight and it knocked him out quick, listening to ocean waves and watching fish swim across his bedroom wall).  My crafty side was itching at me also, so I found some material that matches my nursing cover perfectly.  I am going to add material around the edges to make it bigger.  It was way too small I realize, going to attempt more modesty this time around.  I also broke down and bought Talmage some wooden train tracks (60 pieces for $15 at Ross!!  I love having a ROSS around), so I spend a good chunk of time gluing that together today.  I could not be more happy, he played for hours with his new train set.

Other than filling our days with train tracks, sewing projects, running errands, and attempting to keep up with our ever dirty house, Tal and I have also been going to park and pool days every week.  I actually look forward to it myself.  It is a relief on my back and body temperature to get in the pool, Tal gets to play with his new buddies and I get to talk and interact with other adults.  Win, win.  Life is really good and we get to see our new little munchkin in 6 days!!!  Pulling out the preemie and newborn clothes pushed me over the top, I got so giddy and excited.  Car seat is ready, portable crib is set up and put by my bedside, baby clothes waiting in small little piles to be put into its dresser, nursing pads, burp cloths, breast pump ready to go, binkies, and swaddling blankets all awaiting a tiny person.  

Whoo! The next time I blog, unless I get overly ambitious, will have some pictures of a teeny tiny person, with a NAME!!!!      

2 comments:

  1. Very exciting, Aug 16th is a very good bday. That's when I had my little guy:)I know you don't know me but I went to high school with Cody.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh best of luck from us this week. So excited for you. ...I personally was hoping for the 18th for selfish reasons, but understand the stress of trying to "schedule" a baby's arrival. I hope it all goes well. Praying for you, excited for you, and excited for the day when we can meet your new little man!!!!!

    ReplyDelete